I have. Also, I'm pretty sure it was for that one time I stole a church hymnal.
A great performance will stay with you forever. A terrible performance will seem to last forever.
If you'd prefer to avoid giving lousy performances as a musician, try some of the following advice:
1. Choose your music wisely
This is the first step to crafting an excellent performance. You have to be able to assess your ability level and the challenge presented by a piece of music.
If the music is too difficult, you will not sound good, if it is too easy, you won't be challenged.
I use the 80% rule. You should be able to sight read at least 80% of any piece you intend to perform. The other 20% should be at least appear attainable in the half the time you have before your performance. Be careful, because this decision will make or break you.
2. Good practice, seriously good practice
How much are you practicing? No, really how much? I recommend practice plans and logging practice time for more reasons than I can explain in one post. Mostly, it promotes planning and honesty with yourself.
If you're not practicing at very, very least a few hours a week, you aren't progressing very much. If you practice 3 hours a day, you're on the super star route. Most people fall somewhere in between, and that's okay.
Make a plan and stick to it. Try to have your music ready a couple of weeks before your performance so that you have time to create "ease" in your playing.
3. Do your part
If you are in a performance with other musicians, make sure your part is ready to go before your first group practice.
There is nothing worse than trying to practice when an ensemble member can't play their part. It's a waste of time, and pretty rude. When you practice with a group you should be working on ensemble sound, not individual parts.
This is the same for solos with piano accompaniment. These are usually more like duets than solos w/accompaniment. If you aren't prepared to practice with the pianist, you're putting them through grief.
4. Emotionally connect with your performance
Music requires a connection to the piece you are performing. Listen to recordings of your pieces and try to connect emotionally. Apply this to your playing and make music - vibrato, dynamics, tone color, precise articulation, and phrase shaping are the biggest difference between a mediocre performance and a great performance.
5. Sell it, dude!
When you step on that stage, you take over. Be a presence, smile, and engage that audience. If there is room for some theatrics, employ them. Just ask yourself, "Would I care if I were in the audience?"
If you apply the right music with good practice and great musicality, people with love what you do.
It's not easy to be amazing. It takes hard work and dedication, just like you would expect. It is worth it though.